Re: Debian User List

Greg Folkert wrote in Article
<[🔎] 1175471384.8059.61.camel@princess.gregfolkert.net> posted to
gmane.linux.debian.user:

> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 14:04 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>> Greg Folkert wrote:
>> > I wouldn't. I am itching for Etch to go stable so I can really help the
>> > brunt that will come. The brunt of questions that will FINALLY be
>> > there. All of this crap is filler for the stuff we have coming very
>> > soon.
>>
>> Current levels of posts on forums.debian.net suggest otherwise. (More
>> questions being asked there than here; generally fewer responses
>> though.) So do popcon graphs which show a continuing increase in the
>> number of etch installations.
>
> forums.debian.net looks like a VERY good example of why forums based
> help is horrible.
>
> Same questions, asked over and over and over and over, even with Sticky
> notes.

And that's even before we get into issues arising from poor web design
ingrained into the CMS itself that pretty much every forum shares in
common, reduced functionality compared to mail and news, and having to
wrangle yet another set of credentials for very little payoff.

> This is a fine example of Forums not working. It is a very nice try, and
> has a lot of merit, but it is another place where the signal to noise
> ratio is pretty ugly at best. Regardless as to how bad it is here, it
> really does have what people need when they need it.

Better yet, when do they work?  And by work, I mean overcome the limitations
above and give correct answers?

--
Paul Johnson