Re: Debian User List

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 14:04 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > I wouldn't. I am itching for Etch to go stable so I can really help the
> > brunt that will come. The brunt of questions that will FINALLY be there.
> > All of this crap is filler for the stuff we have coming very soon.
>
> Current levels of posts on forums.debian.net suggest otherwise. (More
> questions being asked there than here; generally fewer responses
> though.) So do popcon graphs which show a continuing increase in the
> number of etch installations.

forums.debian.net looks like a VERY good example of why forums based
help is horrible.

Same questions, asked over and over and over and over, even with Sticky
notes.

On this mailing list, we can just quickly link the users to the previous
discussions or solutions. Or politely tell them GIYF (STFW) or RTFM,
etc...

I read most of the questions being asked on f.d.n, where the people
OBVIOUSLY just asked without reading or searching the forums. The
answers to these questions are all the same. Without linking to the
previous discussion or solution. This would help at least funnel the
people to the same info.

This is a fine example of Forums not working. It is a very nice try, and
has a lot of merit, but it is another place where the signal to noise
ratio is pretty ugly at best. Regardless as to how bad it is here, it
really does have what people need when they need it.

I am sorry if the itchin' for Etch has some of us babbling... but that
will change once Etch migrates to Stable.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup