Re: oddity in apt-cache

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 08:08:22 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
I have three separate machines that have identical entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. All were updated and upgraded this morning as a result of troubleshooting this issue. On machine #1 I can apt-cache show nhfsstone and it returns the expected data on nhfsstone. On machines 2 and 3 it tells me that the nhfsstone package cannot be found. Running apt-cache search nfs on all machines yeilds similar results. Machine #1 has nhfsstone included in the result set. Machines 2 and 3 do not. All machines are pointed to: deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sid main contrib non-free. This just makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm pointing all three to the same set of repositories and yet two machines cannot find a software package the other machine finds. I realize that all machines may not see exactly the same server every time, but to have a package being found on one machine and missing on two others seems very strange.

Can anyone explain this anomaly this to me?

It seems to me that nhfsstone is no longer in Sid.

My guess is that machine #1 has it only as a local package. What is the
output of "apt-cache policy nhfsstone" on this machine?

Thanks Florian,

It is reported as installed, which it is. However, since it was installed and the present time I have run "apt-get clean" so the package no longer exists in the local apt archives. Does this mean that apt-cache reads the local database + the server repositories rather than the just the server repositories? I tend to see that as a bug, not a feature, as it leads people, such as me, to believe a package which was installed at some time in the past on the local machine still exists in the repositories when it has, in fact, been removed.