Re: Problem with udev rules under etch

Hi,

In article <[🔎] 462CC9E0.4050008@noctus.net>,
           Mathias Brodala<info@noctus.net> wrote:
>> The udev manual says that trailing whitespace is ignored.
>
> Not fully:
>
>>        ATTRS{filename}
>>            [=E2=80=A6] Trailing whitespace in the attribute values is
>>            ignored, if the specified match value does not contain trail=
> ing whitespace
>>            itself.
>
> So since ATTRS{model} itself contains whitespace you must specify them in=
>  your
> rule, too.

No, the man pages says

"Trailing whitespace in the attribute values is ignored, if the specified
match value does not contain *trailing* whitespace itself."

(my emphasis).

However, I think I've tracked down the problem. I really only wanted to
create a link called 'zip' to (say) /dev/sda4 (as that's the partition on
the zip disk that is actually used).

However, it seems that if I include either 'KERNEL="sd?4"' or
'KERNELS="sd?4"' in my rule, it doesn't match. Removing that means I end up
with

/dev/zip -> /dev/sda
/dev/zip4 -> /dev/sda4

Not ideal, but it works.

Can anyone suggest how I can match only on the 4th partition of the ZIP
disk? Here's the output of udevinfo for that partition:

Udevinfo starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
and the attributes from one single parent device.

  looking at device '/block/sda/sda4':
    KERNEL=="sda4"
    SUBSYSTEM=="block"
    DRIVER==""
    ATTR{stat}=="      54      166        0        0"
    ATTR{size}=="196576"
    ATTR{start}=="32"
    ATTR{dev}=="8:4"

  looking at parent device '/block/sda':
    KERNELS=="sda"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="block"
    DRIVERS==""
    ATTRS{stat}=="      45       10      174     1776        0
	0        0        0        0     1776     1776"
    ATTRS{size}=="196608"
    ATTRS{removable}=="1"
    ATTRS{range}=="16"
    ATTRS{dev}=="8:0"

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform/host11/target11:0:6/11:0:6:0':
    KERNELS=="11:0:6:0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi"
    DRIVERS=="sd"
    ATTRS{ioerr_cnt}=="0x5"
    ATTRS{iodone_cnt}=="0x4c"
    ATTRS{iorequest_cnt}=="0x4c"
    ATTRS{iocounterbits}=="32"
    ATTRS{timeout}=="30"
    ATTRS{state}=="running"
    ATTRS{rev}=="D.13"
    ATTRS{model}=="ZIP 100         "
    ATTRS{vendor}=="IOMEGA  "
    ATTRS{scsi_level}=="3"
    ATTRS{type}=="0"
    ATTRS{queue_type}=="none"
    ATTRS{queue_depth}=="1"
    ATTRS{device_blocked}=="0"

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform/host11/target11:0:6':
    KERNELS=="target11:0:6"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform/host11':
    KERNELS=="host11"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform':
    KERNELS=="platform"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

Thanks again for the advice so far.