Re: Updated Sid today, xorg cannot find "nvidia" driver

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 14:13:08 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> On 4/21/07, BartlebyScrivener wrote:
>> But I had a similar issue after a routine Etch update.  I found the
>> answer by following this:
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=10812
>>
>> error message was FATAL module Nvidia not found
>
> The problem is that it worked this morning, but does not work this
> afternoon, after "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" that didn't
> include the Nvidia drivers. I looked first, since I have always
> compiled my own nvidia driver since 2003 on this machine.
>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> Except for including "nvidia" in /etc/modules, the instructions given
> are what I did. Oh, but to compile I followed the instructions in
> /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian, which does not use
> Module Assistant.
>
> I've also done it with Module Assistant, and it has worked both ways
> in the past.
>
> So I loaded the module by hand first,
>
> # rmmod nvidia
> # modprobe nvidia
> NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module  1.0-8776  Mon Oct 16
> 21:56:04 PDT 2006

OK, that is the kernel module
/lib/modules/<your-kernel-version>/nvidia/nvidia.ko

> # /etc/init.d/kdm restart
>
> and the error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are (forgive me, typing
> in by hand)
>
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't load module nvidia
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
>

> Well, as you can see, something is very confused. I have no idea what
> changed this morning, certainly the versions on the nvidia kernel
> driver and nvidia-glx are the same, which was my first concern and has
> happened in the past.

It seems that the Xorg nvidia driver module is missing. It should be at
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o (see also Ron's earlier
message).

Is this file present on your system?

          Florian   |