Updated Sid today, xorg cannot find "nvidia" driver

So this morning I made certain that apt wouldn't remove anything this
time, and everything looked fine. It seemed that Sid had gotten over
the initial "OHMYGOD" that happens after a stable is released.

There were lots of KDE updates again, so I closed X and did the update
from the console.

Xorg won't come up, the xorg.log says "nvidia module not found". I
checked, and the nvidia kernel driver had not been removed. So I
reinstalled it, still no luck.

So I tried changing xorg.conf to point to the "nv" driver. Again, "nv
module not found".

Same for "vesa".

Any ideas where to look?

Curt-
(stuck using Gmail on an XP box, it's awful! XP, not Gmail. I kind of
like Gmail.)