Re: to allow root logins or not?

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:53:50PM -0500, Default User wrote:
> Gee, I hate to ask another question, but -
>
> During an Etch install, it asks if I want to allow root logins.  If not,
> no root account is set up (I guess as a security measure), and all admin
> access is done by sudo.  Now I normally do almost all admin work as
> sudo, but is there a downside to not having an actual root account.
> That is, might there be instances when something really should (or must)
> be done in a real root account (not sudo), and with no root account, the
> user is "hung up"?

If something happens during boot and you want to boot single, /home
isn't mounted and only root is allowed to log in.  If there is no root
user, how does this happen?

Everything is a trade-off.  I figure the command line of last resort is
a root login from a serial console.  I would think long and hard before
I removed that option.

Doug.