Re: How to Choose dependencies using apt-get/aptitude

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 07:40:40PM +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I was trying to install mediawiki1.7 using aptitude. This
> package has 'apache | httpd' as one of its dependencies.
> I don't want to install apache. lighttpd seems to provide
> httpd. So I installed that.
>
> Now, when I tried to install mediawiki1.7, it still tries to
> install apache although I already have httpd (lighttpd).
> Could you tell me how do I prevent this from happening?

Use aptitude interactivly, look at the depends of the mediawiki package
and select for install what it needs from within the package's page.
Verify, however, that the apache isn't being installed because something
else on which mediawiki depends itself depends on apache specifically
(as opposed to a http virtual package).

Doug.