Re: opinion sought: lvm vs. evms

Miles Fidelman wrote:
I run a couple of rack-mount servers, each containing 4 fairly large SATA disks.

I'm getting ready to rebuild one of the boxes as a development/staging environment. I'm considering using Xen, with an etch Dom0, and wondering what's the best way to manage the underlying disk space for maximum flexibility, with a level of reliability. (Actually, my preference would be to run opensolaris with ZFS as Dom0, but that's not quite there yet).

I'm torn between using md to raid the disks and running LVM on top of that, or using EVMS to handle it all - and looking for opinions on the pluses and minuses of each (and, for that matter, opinions on how well EVMS is still supported).

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

Thanks very much,

Miles

Miles,

I have not got a lot of experience with EVMS but did install it on my home etch system.

It 'works' in that I was able to configure my setup successfully and have been using the single RAID5 device I created without issues (it's my home directory filesystem).

However, there are problems with a couple parts of it: One, when the system tries to mount the managed volumes during boot, I get a mess of errors (I don't recall exactly, they have something to do with references to undefined elements). Second, the EVMS device sometimes fails to mount at all during boot, because the system thinks it's already mounted. So there are some sort of cleanup issues during shutdown. I've had to add a temporary init script to check and see if my home filesystem is mounted and if not, attempt to mount it again.

All in all, if it worked as advertised, I think it would be a great tool. And, perhaps, if it were used on a pristine, newly installed, system, things might go better. But as it stands, I'll be reconfiguring my system soon and will be removing it, for now.

Bob