Re: to lvm or not to lvm?

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 10:37 -0500, Default User wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After installing fresh Etch with encrypted lvm (all except /boot), per
> non-expert install, I am reconsidering whether lvm is a good idea. It
> works fine - now - but what if it stops working?

It depends on what you call "stop working". Most recent LiveCDs can
start and use LVM Volume Groups and activate Logical Volumes and
therefore mount them. Also, most LiveCDs have most of the same tools you
used to encrypt the data. If you keep you key properly and have it
available $MEDIA_OF_CHOICE (usb key or CD or something) you should be
able to access your data, providing you haven't done something un-smart.

> The only partition that seems to be accessible from a sarge system on
> the same machine is the /boot partition.  If Etch decides to misbehave,
> how would I be able to access my data?  Or is this a case of "you do
> back up your data every day, don't you?"

Yes, but then your backups should be encrypted as well... but that is
another discussion left for another time.

> I really do like the ability to resize my partitions as needed (the
> layout that seemed fine upon install can really look stupid 6 months
> later).  But not at the price of my data.

If you don't do anything stupid, like physically removing a drive from a
volume group with without doing the migrate, reduce and removal first,
you should be able to keep your data.

> And does encryption of lvm partitions unnecessarily complicate matters,
> especially recovery?

Yes, but then you should question your motives for doing the encryption.
You see encryption of you disk, is to make it HARD to recover any data
without your key and passphrase (passphrase should be phrase and not a
word). So I don't get your question, much less your consideration of
encryption of your data. I do not believe you have completely thought
out your reasoning for "encrypting" you data.

>  Would just an encrypted swap partition only be better?

Why would you do that if you are not going to encrypt your data? makes
no sense.

I believe you need to evaluate what "encrypting your data" really means,
first and foremost, also the *WHY* you would do it. Doing encrypted
stuff is all well and good, but it you are doing it for the "latest
trendy schtick", avoid it. LVM is a trivial concern if you are
encrypting your data for the right reasons.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup