Re: Upgrade to Etch on RAID system fails to boot

I'm thinking that the problem may not be the kernel after all. I rebooted using the 2.6.8 kernel and it still didn't work, so now I'm thinking it may be something in Etch rather than the kernel ??

Should the 2.6.8 Sarge kernel work with an Etch installation ??? It is an upgrade from Sarge to Etch, not a fresh installation of Etch.

Brendan.

Brendan Simon wrote:
Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
mdadm is not installed.
My adaptec raid card provides hardware raid, so I don't think I need mdadm. I certainly did not need it when I was running Sarge/2.6.8, so I presume that shouldn't need it for Etch/2.6.18.

My mistake.  Were you using an in-tree driver for your adaptec card or a
third-party driver?  Did you check to see if the name of the kernel
module changed in the 2.6.8 -> 2.6.18 transition?
It looks like the modules that I have specified are all loaded, so I guess that means that the names haven't changed. I was wondering if using the generic i2o_* modules instead of the adaptec dpt_i20 module may fix things? I sort of doubt it. Maybe it's a compiler issue with new gcc-4.1 code generation ???

My /etc/modules file is:

   ide-cd
   ide-disk
   ide-generic
   psmouse

   sd_mod

   aic7xxx

   # NOTE: The i2o drivers have some bugs in them which conflict with the
   # NOTE: dpt_i2o driver and causes a kernel panic or oops.
   # NOTE: This is apparently fixed in 2.6.15 in late December, therefore
   # NOTE: any kernel released in 2006+ _should_ work.
   # NOTE: For now use the adaptec dpt_i2o driver.
   #i2o_config
   #i2o_block
   #i2o_scsi
   #i2o_core
   dpt_i2o

Loaded modules:

   Module                  Size  Used by
   ipv6                  226016  24
   dm_snapshot            15552  0
   dm_mirror              19152  0
   dm_mod                 50232  7 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
   ide_generic             1408  0 [permanent]
   tsdev                   7520  0
   floppy                 53156  0
   intel_agp              21148  1
   agpgart                29896  1 intel_agp
   psmouse                35016  0
   serio_raw               6660  0
   rtc                    12372  0
   i2c_i801                7468  0
   i2c_core               19680  1 i2c_i801
   pcspkr                  3072  0
   shpchp                 33024  0
   pci_hotplug            28704  1 shpchp
   evdev                   9088  0
   ext3                  119240  2
   jbd                    52456  1 ext3
   mbcache                 8356  1 ext3
   i2o_core               37400  0
   sd_mod                 19040  1
   ide_cd                 36064  0
   cdrom                  32544  1 ide_cd
   ide_disk               14848  5
   dpt_i2o                27900  1
   uhci_hcd               21164  0
   e1000                 108512  0
   aic7xxx               150932  0
   scsi_transport_spi     22336  1 aic7xxx
   scsi_mod              124168  4
   sd_mod,dpt_i2o,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi
   usbcore               112644  2 uhci_hcd
   piix                    9444  0 [permanent]
   generic                 5476  0 [permanent]
ide_core 110504 5 ide_generic,ide_cd,ide_disk,piix,generic
   thermal                13608  0
   processor              28840  1 thermal
   fan                     4804  0