Upgrade to Etch on RAID system fails to boot

I upgraded a backup server from Sarge (2.6.8) to Etch (2.6.18) and it now fails to boot.

It is getting stuck because it fails an fsck.ext3 on /dev/sda1. /dev/sda1 is an ADAPTEC RAID card with a number of hard disks. The module dpt_i2o is loaded. None of the i2o_* modules are loaded.

I can press control-D to continue (root partition is on /dev/hda3) and it will boot, but I still can't mount /dev/sda1 which is used for backup data for backuppc. If I try to manually mount /dev/sda1 it tells me that it is already mounted or is being exclusively used by another program.

This is urgent for me as this machine is the backup server for an entire network.
Does anyone know what the problem could be or what I can try to fix it?
Is it kernel/module related ???

Thanks,
Brendan.

begin:vcard
fn:Brendan Simon
n:Simon;Brendan
org:Senetas Security;CTAM Engineering
adr:11 Queens Rd;;Level 1;Melbourne;VIC;3004;Australia
email;internet:Brendan.Simon@senetas.com
title:Systems Architect
tel;work:+61-3-9868-4525
url:http://www.senetas.com