Re: grub question read-only

michael wrote:
> Hi,
> I have this in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file. (pasted below)
> I'm wondering whey there is an option "ro" on the main
> kernel line, even though the system boots normal rw?

The initramfs is mounted read-only I believe, and for the initial mount,
your root filesystem is also read-only, remounted read-write later in
the boot process.

If you use ext3, you'll notice after an unclean shutdown you'll see
messages similar to the following:

EXT3-fs: recovery required on read-only filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.

--
Andrew J. Barr | http://www.pridelands.dyndns.org/

"Why must I fail at every attempt at masonry?"
	-- Homer Simpson, "Mom and Pop Art" [AABF15]