Re: windows download

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Joe Hart wrote:
>>> Personally, I don't know why they both need to exist, but that's
>>> beside the point.  What is the point is that one no longer needs to
>>> download and burn a CD if they want to convert from Windows to
>>> Debian.
>> The more there exist, the better 8-)
>
> Which I doubt.  Suppose Microsoft would have a site named
> www.goodbye-debian.com.  Sounds stupid, eh?

Yes, because no-one would like to say goodbye to debian ;-)

But I'd have no problem with a site like that and I don't have a problem
if someone says goodbye to debian.

Thinking more about it, I actually like the idea of a site like this,
sponsored by micro$oft:
They would develop a deb-package with software in it to pack a
microsoft-installer to ext3, reiserfs, xfs etc. The installer would have
the capabilities to resize existing linux partitions, create a ntfs and
install M$ via a free web download, on the fly downloading and
configuring all the necessary hardware drivers. And all that will take
about 30 minutes with a decent internet connection and needs little user
interaction, requiring only two reboots, and this already installs all
the software you'd like to have!

I don't see this comming, soon :-(

> Names like these may not be the most clever ones.
> Many Windows people I know are not at all hostile towards Linux, but
> a name like www.goodbye-microsoft.com might alienate at least some of
> them.

That's why I said the more the better. Maybe others would prefer
www.add-debian-to-microsoft.com
www.get-the-universal-os.com

Actually, I like the name of 'goodbye-microsoft.com'. You have to
explain  to your friends that the installer doesn't really wipe their OS
and that the installer will merely add another OS, but it's an url they
will remember well long after they return from the pub...

And it is more simple than to explain to them how to burn an iso-image.

Johannes