Re: Debian/Etch/4.0 upgrade experience

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 02:31:31AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> James D. Freels <freelsjd@comcast.net>:
> >
> >  Essentially flawless !  I have upgraded two i386 and one amd64 machines
> >  from sarge to etch.  Except for configuration files that I changed
> >  myself, it was clean and straight forward.  I am VERY impressed. =20
> >
> >  --
> >  James D. Freels, Ph.D.
> >  freelsjd@gmail.com
>
> Pardon the curiosity, but what config files (assuming others might
> like to know, assuming it's any of our business)?

I'm not sure about James' experience but the big ones for me were
gdm.conf (was formerly a monolothic file and now it is essentially and
"override" file if you don't like the defaults) and mdadm.  My system
fell into the "easy" category for mdadm.  So, I had it autogenerate my
mdadm.conf, I verified that the results were correct and then I
rebooted.  I was really annoyed to find that my machine did not boot.
It turns out that even though it auto generates your config, it still
sets "AUTOSTART=false" in /etc/defaults/mdadm.  The good news is that
this happened to me on my workstation, which is under my desk.  I would
have been extremely annoyed if this had happened on one of the servers I
support which is about 30 miles away.

Regards,

-Roberto

--