making usb headset the default sound device

I am using debian sid, updated today. 17 Apr.

The audio port on my t40 laptop is getting flaky.  I have just purchased
a usb headset and wish for it to be the default sound device.  I have
made sure that the snd-usb-audio module is loading not only at boot but
also when plugging in after boot.  I have changed the
/etc/modules.d/sound file to read

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=0

No joy.  I know I must be missing something but I am not sure what it
is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

I got the bill for my surgery.  Now I know what those doctors were
wearing masks for.
		-- James Boren