Re: Installing wacom-kernel-source on Etch: /var/lib/dpkg/info/wacom-kernel-source.postinst: line 49: [: too many arguments

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 21:34:43 +0100, Emmanuele Massimi wrote:
> Ok, thanks for your delucidation, I looked at both the lines, but I must
> have skipped that word, in fact I couldn't tell the difference between the
> two lines. I guess it's time to buy new glasses...
>
> Anyways, this is what I get when I run dpkg-reconfigure
> wacom-kernel-source:
>
>   /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: wacom-kernel-source is broken or not fully
> installed

Try

dpkg-reconfigure --force wacom-kernel-source

If anything goes wrong then please copy the complete output of this
command into a mail and send it to the list.

> I hope formatting is a bit better now, I'll try my best from now on.

You are still top-posting, i.e. you put your text above the text of the
message to which you are replying. I know that this style is very common
in the business world and it is more or less OK as long as you have a
dialog between two persons and both still remember the previous
messages. For a mailing list such as debian-user, however, it is better
to put the reply at the appropriate position in the older text and to
trim the previous message where possible, but not too much.

Just look at this mail: Many people will read it without remembering the
referring to and which changes I suggested you should make. There are
just too many threads going on on debian-user, and hardly anybody has
time to look up old messages in the archive. So most people will be
mildly annoyed by this message and will quickly delete it. That means
nobody joins in with new ideas and nobody can spot mistakes that I may
have made, etc.

Ergo: top-posting is double-plus-ungood.

The whole issue is nowadays complicated by forums such as
www.debianhelp.org which sponge off the content of this mailing list
(nothing wrong with that) and then feed the questions/reactions of their
users back to this list in an inappropriate manner.

          Florian   |