Re: Fetchmail Problems

Michael Pobega wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 06:39:56PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/16/07 18:33, Michael Pobega wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 05:57:05PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/16/07 17:26, Michael Pobega wrote:
I'm having trouble fetching my mail with fetchmail. All it does it say:

9 messages for pobega@gmail.com at pop.gmail.com (36283 octets).
reading message pobega@gmail.com@gmail-pop.l.google.com:1 of 9 (2984
octets)..
fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
Connection timed out.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
pobega@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com and delivering to SMTP host localhost
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
Press any key to continue...

I have no idea what could be wrong. As you can tell SMTP is working fine
(Under SSMTP), so I have no idea why fetchmail isn't working.

Cc to mikepobega@gmail.com if you can, since I'll only be using
pobega@gmail.com for SMTP through Mutt.
What MTA are you running?

ssmtp, as I said in my original message.
Ah, right.  Sorry.

Is ssmtp a daemon?  Maybe you need to restart it.  Have you tried
looking in /var/log/mail.log?

There doesn't seem to be a daemon for it.

What MTA would you recommend in place of it in this case?
ssmtp does NOT have a daemon mode.

From 'aptitude show ssmtp:

A secure, effective and simple way of getting mail off a system to your mail hub. It contains no suid-binaries or other dangerous things - no mail spool to
poke around in, and no daemons running in the background. Mail is simply
forwarded to the configured mailhost. Extremely easy configuration.

WARNING: the above is all it does; it does not receive mail, expand aliases or
manage a queue. That belongs on a mail hub with a system administrator.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com