Re: Broken xserver-xorg in Sid

Michael Pobega wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:38:21PM -0300, cass iano wrote:
Hi

I am running Debian Sid for a while now, and have never had any troubles. Turns out that I have just upgraded the whole of it, and xserver-xorg 7.1.0-18 fails to set up.

I had 7.1.0-17 working flawlessly until now, but I'm afraid that I am going to be X-less for a while now, since I cannot install -17 or -16 for that matter.

What happens is that aptitude, apt-get or dpkg just hang on 'Setting up xserver-xorg (7.1.0-18) ...' and will just go on if I hit Control-C, which obviously just aborts the set up and leaves a broken package.

How can I try to trace the error, file a bug report (if it's the case), etc?

I would really appreciate any help on this matter, beginning with how to find out what has hung the setup and how to fix it.

Thanks
Cassiano Leal

Have you tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg?

If that fails remove it from /var/cache/apt/archives
(xserver-xorg-7.1.0-18.deb would be my guess) and try installing it with
APT.

Yeah, I have even tried to manually download it from packages.debian.org and installing it with dpkg -i, but still to no avail.

I have found out through htop's tree listing (what a wonderful tool htop is!) that the process that was hanging was a 'discover --disableblahblahblah' command inside xserver-xorg.postinst (on /var/lib/dpkg/info, IIRC). So, I went into the .postinst and tried to find the line that was executing the command.

Turns out that it was only trying (as far as I could understand) to check whether discover was version 1.x, by throwing the output of the command into a variable. So, what I did was to substitute the line

VARIABLE=$(discover --disableblahblahblah | greps and awks and stuff)

for

VARIABLE='Discover 1.1'

and tried to reinstall the package. Voilà! That was it.

It still bugs me, though, to think that at xserver-xorg's next upgrade it might break again.

One note: before I did this, I tried to run discover with no parameters, and it also hung. So, I downgraded discover to the previous version and tried to run it again, and it worked. xserver-xorg's setup did not, though, and I still had to do the script editing workaround.

Well, if anybody goes into this trouble, maybe this info will help.

Thanks for the help, though!

Cassiano