Re: PGP Key after new install

On 4/17/07, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
How do I go about retaining my GPG/PGP key after a reinstall of
Debian?

I used to have it so that my GPG key would automatically ask me to
sign when replying to any email, but now I don't have my GPG key
anymore.

Should I generate a new key, or should I use the old one? How would I
go about getting the old one back?

If you are using

http://www.gnupg.org/

usually you have the folder called .gnupg in your home directory.
you need to backup that folder before a re-install and restore it.

If you have not done the backup and installed over the same partition
after formatting it with a file system then it is lost.

maybe you could try using

http://www.sleuthkit.org/

to recover the files but I am not sure how far it will be succesful
over a formatted partition

Kind Regards

Siju