Re: Samba in Nmap

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:21 +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
>     masatran@masatran:~:0$ nmap localhost -FA
>     PORT      STATE SERVICE    VERSION
>     22/tcp    open  ssh        OpenSSH 4.3p2 Debian 9 (protocol 2.0)
>     80/tcp    open  http       Apache httpd 2.2.3 ((Debian))
>     111/tcp   open  rpcbind     2 (rpc #100000)
>     113/tcp   open  ident      OpenBSD identd
>     901/tcp   open  http       Samba SWAT administration server
>     8080/tcp  open  http-proxy Squid webproxy 2.5.STABLE11
>     10082/tcp open  amandaidx?
>     10083/tcp open  amidxtape?
>
>     masatran@masatran:~:0$ grep swat /etc/inetd.conf
>     swat            stream  tcp     nowait.400      root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/swat
>
> I am not running Samba. Why is "Samba SWAT administration server" running?
> Should I comment it out in "/etc/inetd.conf"?

SWAT == S-amba W-eb A-dministration T-ool

It allows you to configure your Samba installation as you would like.

Open a GUI web-browser, then point it at:

        http://localhost:901

Log in as root if you get a login dialog. If you don't, then it just
means at one point you DID install "samba and swat". If you have since
removed it, the inetd server has not been restarted. If you do get a
dialog box, and you successfully get in, look around on it, you will be
pleasantly surprised.

And it just means that inetd is *LISTENING* it is not running, unless
you connect to it... or unless of course you removed it.

To see if you have then installed:

        dpkg -l | grep -e samba -e swat

You may see that you do have them installed.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup