Re: Recommend inexpensive MP3 player?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:24:46AM -0500, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to get an MP3 player to use with my Lenny box. My specs are
> few but perhaps odd:

I ended up with an Iriver T30. It's like 59.95 at Sears on a
50% off (I think the retail was about 119.95). It's a gig, with
decent battery life, very small, but still usable. It's not as
easy as expected to sync it with linux. It uses a microsoft
protocol.

There is a way to flash the bios in the device to make it look just
like a USB mass storage device, play ogg files, etc. But that flashing
process requires Windows. I don't have windows. But the device does play
ogg files out of the box.

Oddly enough, if I plug it in, konqueror upens it up and I can see the
files. I just can't write to the device (drop files on the "folder"
representing the USB device). So, the preferred method (at least for
me), involving amarok and connecting right to the media player (absent
some Ruby scripts?) is not possible.

The workaround is to use front-ends from libmtp (somewhere on
sourceforge SVN) and use commands like 'mtp-connect --sendfile" from the
command line. It works well enough.

> - Uses AAA or AA batteries, preferably 2.

aaa x1.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.