Re: aptitude "check" command?

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 16:37 +0100, webmaster@worldapart.com wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Greg Folkert wrote:

> >> clean vs. autoclean
> >>
> >> clean == remove all cached files, including ones that may be ready for
> >> install. This basically remove all *.deb files in:
> >>         /var/cache/apt/archives
> >> autoclean == removes all but the "installed or most recent candidate to
> >> be installed". IOW if you happen to have 83 versions of the "zsh"
> >> package in /var/cache/apt/archives/ it reduces it to either the one
> >> installed if it is the most recent, or the most recent candidate to
> >> install. This is used as a "house-cleaning" operation.
> >>
> >> "aptitude check" is a non-op. Aptitude does this automagically in
> >> interactive mode. Aptitude forces (user selected) resolutions it can
> >> come up with or elect to quit, when using it in cli form.
> >
> > 3 right answers = 3 extra cookies for Greg's browser ;-)
> >
> > Hugo
> >

> What about:
> #apt-get cache search xxx

You mean "apt-cache search xxx" that is done by aptitude also:

        aptitude search xxx

In fact here is the output of "aptitude --help" to clear up those "Yeah,
but what about..." questions:

        greg@princess:~$ aptitude --help
        aptitude 0.4.4
        Usage: aptitude [-S fname] [-u|-i]
               aptitude [options] <action> ...
          Actions (if none is specified, aptitude will enter interactive mode):

         install      - Install/upgrade packages
         remove       - Remove packages
         purge        - Remove packages and their configuration files
         hold         - Place packages on hold
         unhold       - Cancel a hold command for a package
         markauto     - Mark packages as having been automatically installed
         unmarkauto   - Mark packages as having been manually installed
         forbid-version - Forbid aptitude from upgrading to a specific package version.
         update       - Download lists of new/upgradable packages
         upgrade      - Perform a safe upgrade
         dist-upgrade - Perform an upgrade, possibly installing and removing packages
         forget-new   - Forget what packages are "new"
         search       - Search for a package by name and/or expression
         show         - Display detailed information about a package
         clean        - Erase downloaded package files
         autoclean    - Erase old downloaded package files
         changelog    - View a package's changelog
         download     - Download the .deb file for a package
         reinstall    - Download and (possibly) reinstall a currently installed package

         -h             This help text
         -s             Simulate actions, but do not actually perform them.
         -d             Only download packages, do not install or remove anything.
         -P             Always prompt for confirmation or actions
         -y             Assume that the answer to simple yes/no questions is 'yes'
         -F format      Specify a format for displaying search results; see the manual
         -O order       Specify how search results should be sorted; see the manual
         -w width       Specify the display width for formatting search results
         -f             Aggressively try to fix broken packages.
         -V             Show which versions of packages are to be installed.
         -D             Show the dependencies of automatically changed packages.
         -Z             Show the change in installed size of each package.
         -v             Display extra information. (may be supplied multiple times)
         -t [release]   Set the release from which packages should be installed
         -q             In command-line mode, suppress the incremental progress indicators.
         -o key=val     Directly set the configuration option named 'key'
         --with(out)-recommends Specify whether or not to treat recommends as
                        strong dependencies
         -S fname       Read the aptitude extended status info from fname.
         -u             Download new package lists on startup.
         -i             Perform an install run on startup.

                          This aptitude does not have Super Cow Powers.

So, there you go.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup