Re: really dumb question

On 4/16/07, steef <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl> wrote:
Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 04/16/2007 02:50 AM, steef wrote:
>
>> Greg Folkert wrote:

>>> 8139too
>>>

>> thanks,  greg, i know that: i didnot ask my question clear enough.
>> where in etch can i find the driver for that chip? i could not find it
>> in modconf.
>>
>> reg.,
>>
>> steef
>>

> Hi steef,
>
> I use that in my etch box.  For me, etch handled it all automatically.
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko
>
> It's in the linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 package.
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

hello ralph and magnus, thanks for your answer.

in my box etch loads the driver automatically too. but i cannot reach
the internet

in fact i have two internetcards/chips on my machine. normally i use the
onboard nvidia-chip which works fine. for some good reason i need to
switch from the nvidia-chip to the RTL-8139 card. dmesg, lsmod and grep
show me combined that etch recognizes the  RTL-card.
Yet i cannot reach the internet. /etc/network/interfaces tells me ethx
(of the RTL card) is unconfigured.

so now my question: how can i tell etch to set on the RTL card/ connect
me to the internet with the RTL-card, instead of the nvidia-chip?

(tried out among other things ifup ifdown et.)

If you ifdown the nvidia interface, only the other interface should be
used.  This is automatic and nothing else needs to be done, as long as
you configure the RTL card also in /etc/network/interfaces.

What do "ifconfig" and "route" print if you ifdown the nvidia interface?

--
Kushal