Re: really dumb question

Ralph Katz wrote:
On 04/16/2007 02:50 AM, steef wrote:
Greg Folkert wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 07:59 +0200, steef wrote:
hi,

where can i find the driver for a rtl8139 (chip) realtek networkcard
under etch?

[i used to load them under woody from the modconf list, but cannot
find the driver there]
8139too
thanks,  greg, i know that: i didnot ask my question clear enough.
where in etch can i find the driver for that chip? i could not find it
in modconf.

reg.,

steef

Hi steef,

I use that in my etch box.  For me, etch handled it all automatically.

/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko

It's in the linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 package.

Regards,
Ralph

hello ralph and magnus, thanks for your answer.

in my box etch loads the driver automatically too. but i cannot reach the internet

in fact i have two internetcards/chips on my machine. normally i use the onboard nvidia-chip which works fine. for some good reason i need to switch from the nvidia-chip to the RTL-8139 card. dmesg, lsmod and grep show me combined that etch recognizes the RTL-card. Yet i cannot reach the internet. /etc/network/interfaces tells me ethx (of the RTL card) is unconfigured.

so now my question: how can i tell etch to set on the RTL card/ connect me to the internet with the RTL-card, instead of the nvidia-chip?

(tried out among other things ifup ifdown et.)

regards,

steef