Re: teTeX --> TeX live: When to migrate?

On 2007-04-15, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
>> Johannes Wiedersich escribió:
>>> Are there any issues to be aware of or is it just an 'aptitude install
>>> texlive'?
>
> Very important!  For TeXLive to operate properly, it appears that you
> must purge all the teTeX configuration files before installing
> TeXLive.

Damn, I just went through the same thing, but I think it might be
avoidable. I used aptitude to install texlive, which automatically
uninstalled the core tetex stuff. I couldn't get latex to work from
the command line or through auctex, so I tried a couple variations of
purge and reinstall. Eventually I realised that it was hung up on a
directory that somehow was not purged when I cleaned out tetex:

~/.texmf-var

I moved that to .texmf-var-old, and now it seems to be working ok. I
didn't end up reinstalling, but it did take me a few hours to realise
what was wrong.

hth,

Tyler