ls may be broken

I download podcasts with podracer and had set up a subscriptions file for podracer that under original circumstances made a directory for a podcast under the date directory and put the actual mp3 files into that directory. I don't know if it's changes in python or some subdirectories creation limit but recently podracer has been leaving mp3's on the drive using what were oriinally directory names for naming those podcasts. A few minutes ago the washing machine had an overflow and maintenance came back and vacuumed up the floor and now I check today's incoming podcasts and one I know is not a directory appears when I use ls -d * in that 2007-04-15 directory. I played it earlier using mpg321 so I know. For whatever reason ls appears unable to tell the difference between a directory name and a file name anymore.