Re: Daily Updates

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 11:27:50 -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:05:08 -0400 Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > "Lenny/Sid", it used to say "Etch/Sid" until about November of 2006. I
> > am sure it will say Lenny/Sid until a few weeks until the (set, but not
> > met) release of Lenny.
>
> But what's the rationale behind that?

This is just a consequence of the fact that the package "base-files"
(which contains /etc/debian_version) is the same for Unstable and
Testing most of the time. As far as I know there is no mechanism to keep
different versions of this package in the two branches, unless one wants
to file some sort of semi-permanent blocking bug.

(I have a vague recollection that someone pointed this out already, but
 this thread is now so chaotic that I cannot find the relevant message
 quickly enough.)

>                                       I mean, at any one time, the
> release is either Etch, or Lenny, or whatever comes next. Unless
> someone has mixed sources (testing and unstable, like knoppix, mepis,
> or other derived distros), it should be either etch, or lenny or
> whatever. It shouldn't be Lenny/Sid. That implies mixed sources, and
> it's a potential (and real) source of confusion.

It is at least less scary than "testing/unstable" which was the version
string for quite a while.

--
Regards,
          Florian