Re: Noob question - best way to install software

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 09:22:56PM +0000, georgepwhite@comcast.net wrote:
> I've been using Debian for about a month, and just upgraded to Etch.
> I'm very happy with it so far - my compliments to the people who
> create this great piece of work.
>
> I am wondering about the best way to install software.  I have used
> the "apt-get" method, which is pretty simple, and have also downloaded
> and compiled from source "tarballs" which is a little more complicated
> but doesn't seem to be a big deal.  Are there significant advantages
> and disadvantages to these methods, besides just convenience?  I worry
> about dependencies, and maybe messing stuff up with "apt-get update."
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> George
The reason people use software packages is for the easy management. With
apt-get you can upgrade things and have it take care of getting all the
needed dependencies and alert you of any problems. With software
compiled from source, its all up to you to keep things working. If you
have a choice between deb, rpm, tgz or source, then i'd use them in this
order:
deb
rpm
tgz
source
There are tools like alien to convert rpm or tgz to deb. And there is
checkinstall to help with source. If you are more advanced, you can use
the debian 'equiv' package to tell dpkg about dependencies or even
create your own debian packages. The point is, folks like to make things
easier, not harder. If you want to use a package that you can find in
deb format. Ask here, we may know a better option than source or may
know of a deb that you may not know about.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|