Re: Next time you make a trace file... ( was Re: Need DTP to replace PageMaker)

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 17:25 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > GNOME (and other DE's I expect) happily uses magic number tests to look
> > up the mime type for files without extensions.
> >
> > That said, I agree that it's best to always add an extension.
>
> Before I wrote that, I tested it: in Nautilus, the exact same set of
> bytes when called foo.txt is "plain text document", and when named
> foo.py is called "Python script", even if it's not a Python script.

Yes? That's the way it should be, it uses magic if the file does not
have an extension.

Also, the file extension will be used to detect the mime type, until you
select the file, then the magic numbers is used again to detect the
correct type.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson