Re: scattered google-earth image

Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
On Friday 13 April 2007 13:16, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
On Thursday 12 April 2007 14:36, steef wrote:
i installed a nvidia_graphic_driver into my standard kernel but could
not get google-earth properly working: the graphics are scattered over
the screen. has somebody a solution for this problem?
This happens with some nvidia cards, and is absolutely an nvidia card or
driver problem.

I've seen this a bunch of times. I don't know of any fix.

Well, some good news for you: I have a machine that *never* worked with google earth through several nvidia driver updates. However, after writing my last message, I thought, "hmmm, I should try that again, since I haven't updated the driver in the last month or two" ... and at least that one machine *does* now work correctly, instead of getting a weird scattered display.

For reference:

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)

$ apt-cache show nvidia-glx | grep Version
Version: 1.0.9746-2

So, 1.0.9746 at least works with this card. The immediately previous released nvidia driver did not.

hello wesley,

thanks for your reply.

on a machine with an older kernel i had the last nvidia-driver you mention above flawlessly working. my trouble is now i cannot install this driver on my machine with etch 4.0 and a 486-kernel because the debian-nv driver (nvidiafb) blocks this install.

(my card: steef@debian:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)

that is not the only problem with nvidia-chips on debian etch stable. i have been experimenting some time after i put my message about the scattered google-earth file on my screen on this list.

i installed a debian package [again] this morning : nvidia-glx and did $adduser $steef video. at first it seemed to work well. but without a warning etch told me after a reboot it could not find the module nvidia-ko. so i had to go back again to the vesa-driver and after that to the debian nv-driver which gives me my Xscreen now.

very weird is that on the same time my floppy-driver has disappeared completely from system > storage media and is not to mount anymore. etch says this special device, /media/floppy0, does not exist.

maybe it has something to do with installing, around the same time, rt2500-source for my wireless asus card. allthough i absolutely do not understand why. (rt2500 is working fine now and you get this message by using this module).

put everything together: my trust in etch stable is somewhat shattered. no reason to run away from debian, a program i have used for many years by now. yet i get the impression etch was launched too early... and yes! i need the floppy-driver badly for the daily ciphers of the business of the wife and me.

anybody else with this kind of weird experiences?

regards,

steef