Re: TERM for small bw monitor?

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:45:36PM +1000, Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:47:35AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>> > Short of working out a setterm recipe, does anyone know of a TERM
>> > setting I can uses that only does white, bright-white, and black?  If
>> > I use TERM=dumb, I only get white and black and no curses.
>>
>> Does TERM=vt100 help any?

> No.  vt100 does colour so its not (any?) different than TERM=linux.

no.  vt100 never did color (unless you count "black" and "white", which
varied according to the phosphor used).  Some terminal emulators add
the ANSI/ISO controls for colors.  But they're not vt100's.

> Does anyone remember the name/number of an actual terminal that only did
> regular/bright on black?

vt100

(noting that the "vt100" terminal description refers to a real hardware
terminal that required padding, one may want to suppress the padding,
e.g., "man ncurses" and see the comment regarding NCURSES_NO_PADDING).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net