Re: Deb 4.0 - Samba -> NTFS

Randy Patterson wrote:
On Friday 13 April 2007 13:10, Wackojacko wrote:
Randy Patterson wrote:
Hey,

I have a home network with a Win Adv. Ser. 2003 box connected to my Deb
Box. Everything is working as it should with no problem connecting
through Samba. the permissions on the share in the Win Box, an NTFS
partition, is set to allow full control to my user login. I have mounted
the network share to a local directory on the Deb system
/home/randy/wwwroot. The only problem is I can't write to the directory.
I have read about the lack of write support to an NTFS partition so am I
to understand that this applies when using Samba as well or is there a
way I can get around this problem?

Thanks,
Randy
How are you mounting the samba share on the debian box?  AFAIK you need
to specify the mount options to allow write access for your user, the
default is read only.  This is not a limitation of NTFS write as the
host win box does the writing to the disk.

HTH

Wackojacko

Here's my mount command executed from /home/randy;

smbmount //myserver/wwwroot wwwroot -o usernane=myusername,password=mypassword,rw

Just to mention again 'myusername' was permission set to full control on the wwwroot directory on the win box.

Thanks,
Randy

Have you tried the dmask and fmask options to smbmount to force the mounted filesystem to be writeable? I think this is how linneighborhood does it.

Also, on the win box (XP here) in `sharing and security` tab of the properties for the shared folder I tick `allow users to modify files` or something similar.

HTH

Wackojacko