Re: Help! Strange FF/Iceweasel problem

Wayne Topa wrote:
> Celejar(celejar@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:48:58 +0200
>> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

>>> Perhaps you are correct, but isn't the idea of purge to get rid of all
>>> the config files too?  Does that not apply to files that may be in a
>>> user's /home directory?  If not, then by removing that directory (in
>>> this case the .mozilla directory should do it, since reinstalling it
>>> will recreate the directory.
>>>
>>> Joe
>> I believe that purging doesn't remove files in $HOME; this was
>> discussed sometime recently on the list. Right now I see at least one
>> '.' directory in $HOME belonging to a package that I purged.
>>

> Think about what you would lose _if_ you delete .mozilla.  Bookmarks
> and passwords come to mind.  Ask me how I know that.
>
> wt

Oh yes, I know all about that.  Ran into the iceweasel bug that did it
to me.  All fixed now.

There is such a thing as restoring a backup, which is what people should
all have.  The bookmarks.html file is enough for bookmarks, but for
cookies and passwords, more files are required.

Personally, passwords are not kept in my browsers for security reasons,
and cookies are routinely deleted, so it makes little difference to me
if they are gone.  Plus the fact that my Konqueror has the same
bookmarks as my IceWeasel and it is not difficult to copy them from
Konqueror to Iceweasel (even easier the other way around) means deleting
.mozilla has more of an effect on the plugins than on anything else.

Joe

- --