Re: Daily Updates

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

You never really run just Sid.  If you run Sid, then you run
testing/unstable (or lenny/sid in this case).  This is because as
packages propagate from unstable to testing, then they are no longer in
unstable.  If you only have unstable in your sources.list, you will find
that you cannot install certain pacakges, as their dependencies will no
longer be available to you.

Regards,

-Roberto

???

ni@delete:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

This is how I've run my laptop for several years (actually several laptops by now). I can't swear that I've never run into the problem you're describing, as occasionally aptitude tells me that some package is uninstallable and I have to fiddle with uninstalling, reinstalling and/or upgrading the specific dependency packages that are causing the problem, but this has never really been much of a problem for me, and it's almost always just a matter of just a few minutes of fiddling with aptitude. Over the years there may have been one or two times that I've chosen to simply wait a few days (or maybe a week at most) for some new version of some package to be checked in so that I could then install what I wanted, but my memory is that this never happened to any important package that affected my ability to use my laptop.

	~c