Re: a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4?

On 12-apr-2007, at 3:03, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:32:45AM +0200, Peter Teunissen wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a great opportunity to promote opensource at my job by
working on a BI project for Oxfam. But, I'm forced to use Redhat EL4
and need to get up and running in a short time. I've been looking for
a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4, but only found intro's in
the other direction :-)

I'm sure others on this list have had the same challenge, can someone
give me some pointers to a quick online introduction? I'm looking for
stuff like how yum and up2date compare to aptitude, how to safely
install downloaded rpm's without interfering with yum's updates, if
there are equivalents of repositories like backports etc..

I would start by installing CentOS (in a Qemu instance or a Xen domU)
and poke around.

Yep, first thing I did... friday off, long weekend to immerse myself in RH :-)

Peter