iceweasel/iceape/epiphany/galeon download manager problems (etch)

Hi,

having moved from sarge to etch I now have a big problem with the
browsers in the subject line: Downloading a page is incredibly slow or
even makes the browsers hang:

In all case it takes a long time for the download manager to start and
saving too is very slow. With firefox (iceweasel) I once experienced a
freeze, galeon and epiphany freeze with every attempt to save.

My suspicion is that the download manager reads first my home
directory - which is huge - and for that reason takes long to
start. But under sarge this wasn't a problem and other programs too
manage to open my home directory in a reasonable time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andreas Goesele

--
Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.