Re: undesirable dependencies on x11

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 14:02 +0800, Bob wrote:
8< snip why do libx11-6: and x11-common in come with php5-gd & imagemagick

It comes down to the fact that imagemagick is built with support for the
X picture formats for flexibility. This requires the some X libs. Not
the WHOLE X binary setup, just some libraries. About 800K is all, vs
~100MB for minimal X.

To quote the file "/usr/share/doc/imagemagick/README.Debian"

        5) We will not provide non-X11 binary package, because xlibs
        package does not so big.  If you really need non-X11 binary
        package, you can build it without xlibs.

There in you get your answer.

And X11-common is a just that, to provide the needed locations and
skeleton files for the xlibs and a few minor libraries to function for
things like gd and imagemagick when built with xlibs support.

OK thanks, that sounds like I should "shut up and get on with it" I'll hit the install button (enter) and read the docs for php5-gd, presumably there'll be a similar section, then if I do ditch my separate Firewall & webserver boxes I have the option to role my own.