Re: Daily Updates

Michael Pobega wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 10:56:14PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 10:51:23PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:32:33AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:

Joe Hart writes:

if you're running Etch you won't be getting many, if you're running Lenny
(which is kind of hard because AFAIK it isn't all complete yet)

Lenny (Testing) is complete.  It just happens to be nearly identical to
Etch at the moment.

I've got a quick question, I'm wondering if I'm the only one: For some
reason my /etc/debian_version says I'm running "lenny/sid", I'm hoping
this is only temporary though?

Not that I care what my version is called, but I'm just wondering. I
haven't been around long enough for a version upgrade yet.

My Etch box (installed when etch was still testing) says 4.0.

How did you end up with lenny/sid?

Doug

No idea, all I have is testing in my sources.list

[pobega]$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
# NETINST Binary-1 20070107-08:41]/ etch contrib main

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

And I haven't touched unstable anytime recently. Is it safe to just edit
/etc/issue and /etc/debian_version by hand, or are they for more than
show?

- --
 <o) Debian GNU/Linux - Free as in Freedom
 /\\ http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Debian site and blog
_\_V Window Maker user, Debian enthusiast, Mutt lover

So, for the benefit of this newbie:

If I change my sources list to reflect "testing" rather than "etch", will my system just automagically continue to upgrade itself? Will this system - as it upgrades to Lenny - remain stable enough for daily use?

What do others on this list do?

Cheers

/@