Re: Just installed lenny/sid ... wanted etch

Curt Howland on 11/04/07 18:01, wrote:
Mr. Hardy, that's a wonderful story.

Yes, sometimes people forget to update the "automatic" pages, since "daily build" means exactly that. It's not the Stable release, because the stable release doesn't have daily builds. It's _stable_.

I'm very glad to hear that your install went well. I've been using Unstable (sid) for the last 8 years and am very happy with it. What Debian calls "unstable" is far more stable from a running system perspective than most distributions are with their commercial releases.

That's because "unstable" means that new packages are introduced, and obsolete packages retired, on an ongoing basis. But the apt package manager is excellent for this kind of environment, and very rarely are there any problems. When there are, people post instructions very quickly.

Have you considered staying with Sid? Is this going to be a server, or a personal machine?

I was never actually with Sid - I was using etch while it was testing and that's what I was after, but I got caught out by the etch's release as stable. I think I was still confused when I wrote the original post :O

Maybe I will install lenny though, because I just installed etch from the iso and it doesn't like the hard drive. But that's another post......

Adam