Re: [Fwd: nvidiafb]

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:42:57AM +0000, steef wrote:
FORGET THIS. GOT IT GOING AFTER SOME TROUBLE.

good, but what did you do?

see below. s.

From: steef <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl>

hi list,

without the slightest problem an update to etch this morning. thanks, developers!

QUESTION: how do i get rid of the <nvidiafb-module>. my prefab kernel does not seem compiled with this possibility.

modprobe -r or rmmod do not seem to work. blacklisting nvidiafb in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist does not seem to exclude the kernelmodule from loading.
what did i do wrong, if anything?

maybe someone can help me out??

info.

steef@cc52847-a:~$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidiafb               42236  1
i2c_algo_bit            8424  1 nvidiafb
i2c_core               19680  3 nvidiafb,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_nforce2

steef@cc52847-a:~$ uname -a
Linux cc52847-a 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 26 17:17:36 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
steef@cc52847-a:~$

regards and thanks,

steef

good question. after installing my prefab-kernel:

steef@cc52847-a:~$ uname -a
Linux cc52847-a 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 26 17:17:36 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

the first couple of times i rebooted, as a test, the nvidia-driver nvidiafb did not show itself. why, i do not understand. so i tried to install the newest nvidia-driver from their site and i seemed to succeed until the next reboot. x crashed completely.

so after a cleanup (without X) of /etc/X11/xorg.conf i loaded the vesadriver; and after that, again the nv-driver. that driver works good enough for me, with one *bug" however.

after installing the nv-driver an old nuisance came back. when i logout as user 'steef' and i login as root --- (a lazy convenience to compile and install the newest alsa-drivers from their site. because for my nvidia soundchip ad1986 () the debian drivers suck [is that the good word??]) --- *the cursor* disappears completely; quite a nuisance.

the nvidia-driver from *their* non-free site has not that evil habit and is even better with films like humphrey bogarts casablanca or the maltese falcon.

so that's how it is now.

ps.:

btw i am wrestling with another problem now: etch sees my wireless rt2500.ko module but i cannot start up my wireless network. install etc. i controlled thrice: all seems to be okay. Maybe an alias-problem? ralink=ra0 and debian sees the driver as eth2 in /etc/network/interfaces. how do i get the d..... thing working is my problem now. some help would be welcome and highly appreciated.
thanks for your question,

regards,

steef