Re: Linux kernel for external hard drive

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:59:02PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> 1. In an external hard drive which is used on multiple computers, what Linux
> kernel is appropriate? I work on Pentium 4 / Sempron / Athlon 64, and
> similar computers. I am currently considering "linux-image-686".
>
> 2. Can I install "linux-image-amd64", and use the I386 Debian with it, on an
> AMD64 computer?
>
> 3. Can I set it up so that when I install a package, the I386 version will
> be installed on one partition, and the AMD64 version on another?

The external nature of the hard drive shouldn't affect the choice of
kernel.

Have you considered having two sets of partitions, one for amd64, one
for i386, with grub to allow you to boot either?  Each partition would
be a stand-alone debian system.  To install a package, you would run
aptitude from within each system.  You could set it up so that for
installs, you run on an amd64 then run the i386 within a chroot.

Doug.