Wrong behaviour of touchpad / mouse after upgrade to Etch; and problems with xfce

Slightly disappointed by Etch:

257302 is unresolved after 3 years.
On the DELL D400 X -configure still sets xorg.conf to /dev/mouse; and does not find any mouse. So it needs vi to change to /dev/input/mice before it starts.

The default configure at upgrade leaves the touchpad almost non-functional: To move the mouse pointer across the screen, I need > 10 full strokes on the pad; the sensitivity is very low; and is unaffected by the settings in the desktop; whatever I set, the sensitivity remains extremely low and unchanged. Therefore I did the X -configure, vi xorg.conf.new, cp xorg.conf /etc/X11. Now the sensitivity is normal.

The whole set of personal settings for Xfce are lost. I get a default setting, which is wrong (AFAICS), because there seems to be no way to reach the 'Settings'; I can't change anything. The right mouse click does not show anything; contrary to a fresh install.

Uwe