Re: [debian-user] The List Standard

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:01:37 -0600
Ted Hilts <thilts33@telus.net> wrote:

> First:  as I understand your guideline I am not to use the reply key but simply address my reply back to the list and it will be automatically added to the descending list. But have you not in your own email broken the chain of information because all I get when I read your email is to see your one extraction and I don't know

Ted - please wrap your lines at < 72 characters. It'll make your posts
easier to read and reply to.

Most (sane) mailers track by something called Reference Threading - so
that a subject with the added text [debian-user] will still be able to
be seen as part of the thread.

Normally, one should just reply-to list, and it's considered bad form
to mail the poster directly, unless asked to do so.

> Second: Also, when one person removes content they think is irrelevant but the original author might think otherwise then how does one find that original information?

By using the reference threads, or maybe archives if the original post
is long gone. That's usually not going to be the case, unless the old
post is (ahem) old.

All the replies should be visible as one thread that you and others can
navigate through in order to form the big picture.

> Third: Altering the original content or injecting statements adds more confusion than it saves especially if a lot of people are in disagreement with one another.

Shouldn't happen much. For threads where there is a lot of disagreement
(see the subjects "sponge burning" for instance) people haven't been
altering the original content. That would be disastrous, and really
open one up for a flame fest ;(.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.