Re: [debian-user] The List Standard

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 08:01:37PM -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html
>
> This helps a lot but I have a few issues with a couple of the statements.
>
> First:  as I understand your guideline I am not to use the reply key but
> simply address my reply back to the list and it will be automatically added
> to the descending list. But have you not in your own email broken the chain
> of information because all I get when I read your email is to see your one
> extraction and I don't know from that who said what or even the initial
> subject content.

It up to each responder to snip bits that aren't relavent to their
reply.

> Not every one has threads. In a thread before yours this
> statement was made:
>
> AFAIK Thunderbird can thread even if the subject is changed. (It uses
> the 'In-Reply-To:' header)"

> This person seems to imply that normally the subject is the key to
> establishing the descending threads.  And if Thunderbird for example
> utilizes the REPLY TO header then that is at odds with what you seem to be
> saying in this guideline.  So I am confused on this matter.

I don't understand "not everyone has threads".  Its a standard part of
email.  Therefore any decent mail user agent should show threads.  Try
mutt.

> Also my original subject had [debian-user] as the prefix yet Thunderbird
> accepted Re: The list Standard.
>
> Second: Also, when one person removes content they think is irrelevant but
> the original author might think otherwise then how does one find that
> original information?

If need be, with the archives.  If you're really wanting to follow a
thread, don't delete it out of your own mailbox or save it to its own
mailbox.

> Third: Altering the original content or injecting statements adds more
> confusion than it saves especially if a lot of people are in disagreement
> with one another.

Nevertheless, it is how it is done on this list.

Doug.