Re: Sources list for upgrade from sarge to etch?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:45:29PM -0500, Michael Kerwin wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade a computer from sarge to etch and I am reading the
> release notes about it and it says to use aptitude to update and etc.
>
> My question is what should I change my sources.list in /etc/apt to? Because
> it says in the release notes to make sure it points to sarge when doing the
> update. Since etch is now the stable I have tried changing the sources list
> to oldstable  and even tried sarge and it couldn't connect with the changes.
> I saw and email or something the sarge was changing to oldstable.
>
> I only have 3 line in my sources list.
>
> Deb ftp://ftp.usdebian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib. non-free
> Deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib. non-free
> Deb http://security.debian.org/ oldstable/updates main contrib. non-free

Basically, the release notes want to make sure that you have a clean
install of Sarge before you attempt the upgrade.

Since during the upgrade you won't be compiling from source, you can
comment out the Deb-src line.

The sources list should point to a named release.  The following should
do it, and I removed the '.' after 'contrib':

Deb ftp://ftp.usdebian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
Deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

Remember to do everything from aptitude.  If you want to keep a script
copy, do it from the command line.  If not, do it interactivly.
Actually, until you're ready to do the upgrade itself, I would use
aptitude interactivly (curses interface) so I can see exactly what it
wants to do.

Follow along the release notes step by step, omitting nothing.  Word to
the wise as noted in section 4.1.3 and 4.1.4; be prepared for the system
not to boot.  Be able to boot by an alternate means: installer CD rescue
mode, grub-disk; from other than a remote login.

When, and only when, the release notes tell you to change the sources
list to etch, you would change 'sarge' to etch.

Good luck.

Doug.