Re: etch upgrade problem

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:46:21PM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
> Well, a bit premature on solved status.  The upgrade from Sarge to Etch
> did complete after killing the screensaver process, but it did not leave
> the system in a good state.  Minor problems include Postgre failing on
> boot, as well as a mini-DNS server that I don't believe was in Sarge
> failing to start, but the main problem is that X is inoperable.

This may sound stupid: if you can, purge as much as possible of X
Windows. Then

apt-get / aptitude install xorg xserver-xorg discover x-window-system

That should give you a base of the new packages to go on. If it still
doesn't work,

dexconf

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow

should help. plow asks _all_ the questions again, not just those at high
priority.

HTH,

Andy