Re: Sources list for upgrade from sarge to etch?

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:45 -0500, Michael Kerwin wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade a computer from sarge to etch and I am reading
> the release notes about it and it says to use aptitude to update and
> etc.
>
> My question is what should I change my sources.list in /etc/apt to?
> Because it says in the release notes to make sure it points to sarge
> when doing the update. Since etch is now the stable I have tried
> changing the sources list to oldstable  and even tried sarge and it
> couldn’t connect with the changes.  I saw and email or something the
> sarge was changing to oldstable.
>

> I only have 3 line in my sources list.
>
> Deb ftp://ftp.usdebian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib. non-free
> Deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib. non-free
> Deb http://security.debian.org/ oldstable/updates main contrib. non-free

Are you sure it is Sarge? oldstable was woody until Yesterday.

Are you sure you are not trying to upgrade from Woody to Sarge?

Those three line are correct except for 2 errors each line and the
change from oldstable to stable.

> Will someone help me?

Here are the proper lines for for stable (which is now Etch):

        deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
        deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
        deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

The last line is what http://www.debian.org/security/ says to use.