Re: Auditing free and non-free packages

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 07:44:13PM +0100, andy wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have, since installing Etch, been downloading packages with regard for
> functionality and because I wanted that program, rather than focusing on
> whether or not that package was non-free or free (with respect to the
> Debian commitment to free software).
>
> I am curious about the packages I currently have installed that aren't
> free (I know about the w32codecs and the flashplayer-plugin, for
> example). Is there a way of auditing this?

You could try vrms - the Virtual RMS - a script which will warn you of
packages considered non-free in DFSG terms (and will email you once a
month or so by default). Obviously, apt-get/aptitude install vrms will
install the package for you.

Alternatively, try the following:

Comment out the entries in your /etc/apt/sources.list
for non-free and debian-multimedia or whatever, then do an apt-get
update. The packages which aren't found will be tagged as
Local/Obsolete since the source is unknown and you can recognise them
that way. Once you're happy, re-edit your /etc/apt/sources.list
appropriately to re-add the entries you commented out.

HTH,

Andy