Re: DHCP lease and dhclient.eth0.leases.

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 13:06 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases has dates in it that do not seem to
> relate to anything.  It has two entries. one stating that the DHCP
> lease expired two days ago, and another that states it will expire in
> 2038:
>
> renew 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>   rebind 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>   expire 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>

>   renew 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
>   rebind 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
>   expire 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
>
> If something's misconfigured, I haven't a clue.  Where does this file
> get it's information?  I'm not even sure I'm making sense, but any
> pointers appreciated.

First off, are you having any problem?
Second, where are you getting your DHCP ack and reply from (Comcast, a
router or a real DHCP server on you LAN?
Thirdly, is that your whole leases file?

If you are getting your DHCP reply from Comcast's stuff... this doesn't
surprise me one bit. They don't understand a proper client. They have
catered to stupid Windows, stupid routers/firewalls that don't work
properly and old equipment that doesn't really understand things. Plus
the influx of uPNP requests has really made things hell for them as
they've had to change to uPNP enabled things... hurting themselves in
the process. This includes handing out many of the DOCSIS stuff to the
modem to handle and propagate all that jive crap.

Now, if you are getting you DHCP info from a router, well that is a
different issue. Does that Router support uPNP? If it does and you have
zeroconf and the avahi stuff installed, that might explain it.

There are many numerous ways of misconfiguration for "privately
controlled" DHCPDs. I really don't want to go into them at length until
we know it is the problem... which I'll hope it isn't.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

That was as boring as a performance of "Richard the 3rd" with potatoes for
actors. They're all eyes.